Thursday, October 19, 2006

Stephen...

A colleague of mine who works at See Tickets died last week of liver cancer after being diagnosed on the 22nd of September. He was 30 years old and about to marry his girlfriend. Cliched as it sounds, it does makes you think.

What are my priorities? Am I living to them? Here's to you Mr Downie and to drunkenly singing 'Popular' on the Number 3 Night Bus at 3am. My thoughts are with you and your family.

To respond to my sister's concerns that some of my entries on here have been solemn, (didn't you read my Beverley Knight story below - it's hilarious!) I hope that I have kept these entries as honest and as varied as possible. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have to dive to catch it. Sometimes you're just all 'butter fingers' and drop the damn thing. And you curse yourself. I'm allowed to have those days. Just don't worry too much. I am a yo-yo of emotion. I do untangle myself in my own time. I just don't write about the untangling as much as I should. Yes, my love life can hang from a perilous thread sometimes. But show me a person whose romantic entanglements don't these days!

That's not a call to submit names of happy couples by the way, like Sting and Trudie Styler or Bert and Ernie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although I feel that you can only write about what you experience and therefore the mix of good entries and 'solemn' entries can hardly be equal, I do think you may have stumbled upon a point between the two of you. The solemn things maybe mean more to you than the good things and so you feel more inclined to write about them and the happier things get forgotten and branded as uninteresting. I think you have had a good recent mix, with Beverley and the theatre, but make sure you rate good things as important as solemn things, ok!