Monday, August 28, 2006

Everybody needs good neighbours...







I promised myself I wouldn't be one of those bloggers that post up annoying photos of themselves partying all the time with their friends but this one has relevance. If you live in London, or any major city for that matter, but especialy in uptight Britain - where a smile on the Underground to a complete stranger can signify a desire to kill, terrorise, stalk or at least invade someone's personally space quite rudely - you will know that NO ONE speaks to their neighbours. Well I do. I met mine at a party in the West End of all places. After talking about where we lived, we freaked out at discovering we actually are 'nextdoor neighbours'. Since then Sarah, Jerome and Lindsey have now been my local friends as well as neighbours. Yes, you may coo with delight now. We basically get quite drunk together to cut a long story short. In another 'Elton John - Circle of Life' tale, Lindsey's boyfriend Adj is in a band called Kubb, who I met last year at a television recording of Later with Jools Holland. Yes, a small world indeed. Yet these strange coincidences make up up most of my life on a daily basis. I do not lie, ask any of my friends. I obviously know far too many people. Oh rah! How pretentious does that make me now?

Moving swiftly on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, well we speak to our neighbours. The first week that we had wheely bins finally delivered, which was a good month or so after we ourselves moved in, and we were the first flat occupied, and then a few weeks after the second flat was occupied we finally got some bins delivered by the happy council... But the first week they were delivered (and so virtually empty) the bloke from the flat popped round, knocked on the door and informed me he was taking the bins round to the front of the house... Well thank you for letting me know, obviously, very kind of you but you really didn't need to go to the trouble of informing me you were doing it... I could kind of SEE you doing it! But anyway, now the friendships with all the other flat owners has advanced greatly to a 'hello' now and then, and nothing more...

Ah... I start to see you point! But you never know, one of them could have a relation in that obscure band Artic Baboons... or something... A reason to get to know your neighbours ladies and gentlemen.