Monday, August 21, 2006

My 'Wicked' side in full view...

Those who know me, know I don't do 'gay' very well, admittedly I can have my moments but most of the time I lead a pretty 'straight' life. And I'm fine with that and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life. As a rebel of conformity, I hate stereotypes and growing up as a short-arse, mixed-race, speccy-foured-eyed homo has probably helped that. Defining my life through my sexuality makes about as much sense to me as defining it by my hair colour or choice in trainers (Adidas by the way). It has it's throwbacks, I've never fitted into the 'gay scene' that well and have been criticised by some of more 'intolerant' gay men out there (of which there are many) and have always felt like a beloved adopted child to my straight friends. The dating process and whole meeting guys thing has suffered a bit as a result, but I am addressing this and over the past few years grown in confidence knowing that I don't need to compromise my attitude and the things that make me feel comfortable in life to gain respect on both sides of the fence.

Every now and then though, I do get a bit gay and musicals are a bit of a thing for me. Ever since I was in a few productions at school in Germany, having to put on professional productions that would give the West End a run for it's money, I have gained a true love for it. Mostly, because it reminds me of when I was happiest as a teenager, rehearsing with friends, having such a laugh, and having lots of praise and attention at doing something I was really good at. So maybe it's more of a nostaglic thing than a 'homo' quirk. Whatever it is, and however people's attitude to my little musical crush is, I love them and I don't care. I love singing, and find myself singing certain 'show tunes' that reflect the many life situations all the time. One of the songs from Wicked! (the record-breaking, award-winning show from Broadway opening over here this month) I find myself singing a lot of these days, tragic it maybe, is 'I'm Not That Girl', a reflection on how many of my dates never work out with the guys I really like. (you may sigh and go 'Awwwhhh' if you want). Still, I am incredibly excited about seeing it for the first time after having bought the score last year,and know all the lyrics already, friends may laugh, a few joined in with my excitement too, via my influence and are joining me on the two performances I am going to (oh yes my friend you heard correctly, two performances!) Opening Night here I come. Okay it's in a few weeks time but I had to write something today, it's been so dull!

1 comment:

loveit said...

I would just like to say I laughed out loud when I read the 'I dont do gay very well' line

Rich, you are as butch as they come, honest

;-)